Sunday 25 October 2015

VISUAL DESIGN - LAVA MONSTER WEEK_05_

LAVA MONSTER AND ROCK MONSTER

For our next visual dosing lesson, we looked at rock monsters and forms of lava. The class work was to add lava effect to a picture of a model we were given.  First I removed the background and tided the image, then added a dark background and made the image overall much darker, so the lava effects could show through. Then I added lava using different layers and FX tools on Photoshop, giving the piece a glowing outer effect. I am very pleased with the result and believe its better than my Own from scratch creation/idea, with I did struggle a little with. 


Then homework was to then come up with our own lava monster. To start, I crated a mood board for reference, to understand the lava position and feel. 


After this, I then did some sketches of monsters that were completely different to each other, to give myself a variation of ideas when doing my own. 


The first design was a rock monster creature, that I wanted to be infused with the surrounding rock and are, I really liked the design and the form of this creature, and It was the one I eventually chose to become the finally piece. 



My second design I also like, as it is also attached/ coming out of the rock, and is more angular and thing looking. This was going to be the one used for my final color piece but I found the previous one more striking in terms of the feature within the sketch. 



This third sketch Is my least favorite, because I didn't draw its full body, and found it to be more alien than lava based creature. Although if I used this, I would have made lava come out of its mouth as well as on the body. 




My final lava design I think is good but not as good as the one done in the class lesson. The outer glow effect and colour works, however i f doing this again I would have made the body more visible and followed the cracks in the rocks more effectively to bring out the subtle lava rock creature, in full form, like the class work. Overall I like its cartoon style and and the color, although I believe it still could be further refined to be a much better piece. 














No comments:

Post a Comment